Prime Regenerative and Pain Management
Pain Management & Alternative Medicine located in Fredericksburg, VA
Pain in the lower back is a cause of reduced mobility for millions of people and is responsible for millions of lost work days--more than any other health problem in the United States. If you have lower back pain, you can recover with the help of Dev Sen, MD, of Prime Regenerative and Pain Management, serving patients in Stafford, Fredericksburg, and King George, Virginia. Dr. Sen is an experienced specialist in treating painful musculoskeletal disorders, so call the clinic today, or make an appointment online.
Low Back Pain Q & A
What causes lower back pain?
Your lower back is an area of your body that frequently comes under strain, which it copes with very well if looked after properly. However, the tendons, ligaments, and muscles of the low back are susceptible to damage from being overburdened or stretched too far.
An acute attack of back pain is one that comes on suddenly and could be caused by:
- A fall or other injury
- Overdoing physical activity
- Reaching too far or straining too hard
- Having a chronically poor posture
- Repeating the same movements for extended periods
- Making awkward or sudden movements
- Lifting without using safe techniques
Chronic low back pain that lasts for months and possibly years can develop if you fail to get appropriate treatment following an acute injury. This pain may also be caused by:
- Muscle spasm/strain
- Disc Degeneration
- Disc Herniation, tear or rupture
- Lumbar facet joint arthritis
- Lumbar spondylosis and spondylolisthesis
- Sacroiliac joint instability
- Osteoporosis related compression fracture
If you experience an acute attack of back pain, see Dr. Sen as soon as possible before the pain becomes a chronic problem.
Can I prevent lower back pain?
Many causes of low back pain are preventable if you adopt the right techniques to care for your back and protect it from damage. You should:
- Keep fit and exercise regularly
- Check your posture and avoid adopting poor postural habits
- Make sure you can lift safely and never take risks with heavy lifting tasks
- Don’t stand in one position or stay still for too long
- Watch your weight, as excess weight puts a strain on your back
- Take up a stretching and strengthening activity such as yoga
By taking care of your back each day, you’re far less likely to have problems with lower back pain.
What treatments are available to help with lower back pain?
When your back first starts to hurt, stop what you’re doing and avoid that activity for now. Bed rest isn’t the best approach for lower back pain, it’s far better to keep moving, but do so gently and avoid overdoing anything. You can also try topical anti-inflammatory creams, or massage muscle liniment into the affected area to ease the pain and stiffness.
Make an appointment to see Dr. Sen as soon as possible, so you can find out why you’ve hurt your back, what you’ve done, and what you need to do to recover quickly. He can provide a combination of proven techniques and cutting edge treatment options for lower back pain, including:
- Physical therapy
- Medical management
- Trigger point injections
- Epidural injections
- Facet joint injections
- Sacroiliac joint injection
- Radiofrequency Ablation
- Platelet-rich Plasma (PRP) therapy
- Stem cell injections
- Transforaminal injections
- Spinal cord stimulator
- Lumbar sympathetic block
Relief from lower back pain is at hand, so call Prime Regenerative and Pain Management today, or book an appointment online.